To get you started, here is a list of must-make mushroom recipes from the Mushroom Council. Which one will you make first?
Strip Steak with Portabella Mushrooms
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and clean the caps with a damp paper towel.
- In a bowl, combine together 2 tablespoons of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Add the mushrooms to the bowl and gently brush with the marinade. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, sear the mushrooms at medium-high heat for 3 minutes on each side until the mushrooms are tender.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Sear the steak 3-4 minutes per side until browned or until the internal temperature is 120ºF. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut the steak and mushrooms diagonally into thin slices. Serve and enjoy!
Grilled Mushroom Cobb Salad
- Wish together oil, salt and pepper and brush mushroom strips and red peppers with mixture. Place red pepper pieces on a skewer and grill peppers and mushrooms, turning once, for about 10 minutes.
- Toss lettuce with vinaigrette and arrange on a shallow serving platter. Arrange mushrooms, roasted peppers, eggs and blue cheese in four “stripes” across the bed of lettuce. Serve chilled.
Grilled Portabella Gyros with Yogurt Dill Sauce
Ingredients for the Yogurt Dill Sauce
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms and brush caps with a wet towel. Carefully scrape out the gills with a spoon. Slice mushroom into ¼-inch pieces and place in a medium bowl along with the olive oil, oregano and smoked paprika.
- Preheat an indoor grill pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and peppers and grill, tossing occasionally, until tender, 5-7 minutes.
- To make the Yogurt Dill Sauce, squeeze the grated cucumber in a clean towel to remove excess liquid. Add to a large bowl with yogurt, sour cream, olive oil, lemon, garlic, salt and dill. Stir to combine.
- To serve, place mushrooms and peppers in the middle of the pita bread. Top with tomatoes, onion, lettuce, feta (optional), and a big dollop of yogurt sauce.
* Check the mushroom package label to see if the mushrooms have been exposed to UV light for maximum vitamin D – up to 120% DV1.
Three Mushroom and Garlic Grilled Pizza
Ingredients for Sauce
- Preheat the grill to high heat, about 425 degrees F.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk in the garlic and basil and cook for one minute. Sprinkle in the flour as you whisk quickly. A paste will form.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Slowly pour in the half and half as you continue to whisk. Continue until there are no longer any clumps. Increase the heat slightly to bring to a simmer. Stir as it thickens into a sauce. This will happen quickly, in about a minute or so. Remove from the heat. Stir in the Parmesan, salt, and pepper, and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook until they begin to turn tender, about 2 minutes. Carefully pour in the wine or stock and continue to cook until the liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with the salt.
- Stretch the dough to make about a 14-inch pizza, either a circle or oval. Brush the grill grate generously with olive oil. Place the dough on grill and let cook about 3 minutes, until the underside is browned and removes easily from the grill. As you remove the dough from the grill, flip it onto a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray so that the cooked side is up.
- Spread the sauce over the pizza and evenly cover in mushrooms. Next add the mozzarella cheese.
- Return the pizza to the grill, topping-side up. Close the lid and let cook for 3 to 5 more minutes watching it closely. Once the top crust browns and the cheese melts and begins to bubble it is ready. Let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish with Parmesan and basil leaves, and slice to serve.
Grilled Steak, Mushroom and Onion Kebabs
- Whisk oil, vinegar, mustard and rosemary into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add steak to bowl, mix to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to refrigerator to marinate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Soak 12 skewers in water.
- To assemble skewers: Add 1 piece of steak, 1 mushroom and onion wedge. Continue by adding the same. Continue until all 12 skewers are complete.
- Heat a non-stick grill pan over medium – high heat. Add skewers (careful not to crowd the pan, do this in batches).
- Cook for approximately 2-3 minutes and then flip skewers. Continue cooking for additional 2 minutes.
- Transfer to serving plate. Garnish with fresh rosemary if desired.